Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Poor People

So many many things have happened in the last week.
Made some good friends (with some connections in high places) and have had quite a bit of adventures (fancy hotels, bars, illegal street racing to name a few) . We're about to leave HOPE project to go up to Agra for the weekend and then up north for another week.
I've come to really like this area. People say it's a bad area, but the people have grown on us (and vice versa.) I go on a couple walks a day and earned a bunch of street cred. Yesterday some guy asked uswho we we were to some other guy (this is all in Hindi) and he answered with, they're one of us, one of our own. It made me feel pretty great.
This week I've gone to some the poorest areas of Delhi. These people are migrants, and don't have water, bathrooms, drainage or any type of housing besides tarps. But they're all really excited to meet me once I go out of my way to show I'm not just some tourist. They're some of the poorest people in the world, yet they always go out of their way to offer me a seat (even if its a rock) and to find something to offer to me. Their hospitality is one of the most humbling experiences I think I'll ever encounter. Its offered me quite a bit of perspective and a whole new outlook on people, poverty, america, and more importantly my way of life.
I know everybody has their own specific problems but never again will I claim to be poor. I'll never again complain about the overwhleming amount of blessings I (and most of our country) have. I think it's something that almost all of us (and by that I mean maybe the two people who look at this) should stop and consider next time we're down about our situation or circumstances.
on a brighter note, I have tons of pictures and stories. I'm going to try and give a more detailed account of what's been going on (with pictures) sooner rather than later and hopefully before we take off up north.
Lastly, it was 107 today I thought it was cool out. I can't wait to be cold in a michigan summer.

No comments: